From the Principal
Dear Longfellow Parents and Family Members,
With the holidays soon behind us we look forward to welcoming in 2013. We hope our students return back to school rested and ready to get back to work. They have accomplished much this first semester and we look forward to great progress this second semester. It is a privilege to work with your children each day. Safety is and will remain our top priority. In light of recent events, please know that we are always looking at ways to improve safety. We work closely with the Bakersfield Police and Fire and will continue to do so. As we move forward this school year rest assured that we will continue to re-evaluate our existing safety policies and make changes when necessary. While Longfellow School takes every precaution to make ensure that students are safe while at school. We need you to support our efforts in making the school a safe place for your children. Here are some important safety reminders:
- Longfellow is a closed campus and any visitors to the school are required by state law to register when walking on to campus.
- It is critical that you maintain current address and phone information so that we are able to reach you in the event of an emergency.
- Longfellow has a zero tolerance policy regarding weapons (including toys), explosives, knives, and dangerous objects. Please remind your child never to bring these items to school.
- Before School, 8:30am: Students are not to arrive before the playground opens at 8:30.
- After School 2:43 and 2:48pm: First/second grade dismissal is on Lincoln, 3-6th grade dismissal is on Stockton St. Students must be picked up by 3:00pm when supervision ends.
- Drivers: Please drive slowly and take extra care when driving by the school. Be mindful of traffic laws: Please use crosswalks. Do not park/load students in bus lanes, stop signs, crosswalks, east side of Stockton, and definitely not in the middle of the road. Do not call your child to run across the street.
As always, thank you for your partnership, trust, and support.
Important Dates to Remember
* 2/14 - Valentine's Day
* 2/18 - No School - Washington Day
3/10 - Daylight Savings Time Begins (Spring Forward)
* 3/15 - End of the 3rd Quarter
* 3/25-3/29 - No School - Spring Break